Friday, 14 May 2010

What do media theorists think about the way we read texts?

What role does television play in our lives?

The main purpose of television is to entertain people but at the same time educate us on different culture's, times, class's etc. By consuming more media on TV than actually going to different places it can give us a view of people before we meet them as all we know is what has been shown to us.

'Really, I build my life around television...Dallas is really soapbox..all wonderful dresses and glamorous girls. Believe me, I like Dallas...and Dynasty...But i prefer the Australian ones...I wouldn't miss Sons and Daughters if I could help it, because the story holds me. It always ends on a note that you are wondering where the next programme is going... That makes a person want to switch it on.A country practise i like very much...It's just sort of natural, down-to-earth everyday life... and its scenery is nice... And there's no swearing... It's clean. There is no rape or anything. I think that's refreshing... I don't like EastEnders because it's so down to earth...Life is very drab,anyway for me... People listening,like myself,like to be uplifted'

In this persons case being uplifted is the aim of TV so without the sinister things shown in much of the TV today it could give a very narrow view of the world with its ups and downs. In contrast to this if only the more sinister media on the TV was watched, a darker view of a particular place could become real to a person without real life situation keeping there opinions in check.

The key to the myths...of our own powerlessness...is that we've been robbed of our visionary ability. It's something that's taken away from us very early on by such concepts as 'Oh, it's only human nature' , 'boys don't do that kind of thing', 'it's always been that way', and other such...illusions, snares and traps, which both rob us of our history in terms of ways of... living that have been different, and also rob us of our ability to dream about the way that we think things could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment